On Saturday, May 2, 2015, The first annual City of Liberty Spring 5K took runners and walkers through our newly remodeled downtown. The event ended at the “old LHS” stadium, where the Pickens County Humane Society hosted a dog-friendly pet fest until noon with vendors such as local pet groomers and pet merchandise suppliers.
Registration began at 8:30 am on the day of the event at the City of Liberty football stadium (251 N. Hillcrest St. Liberty, SC 29657). There was plenty of on-site parking. The race began at 9 am, taking runners on a loop through downtown Liberty and a turn onto Front Street leading back to the stadium. Dogs were welcome for this event; and we asked participants to please be mindful of their pet’s physical limitations. There were detour routes for those whose pets were unable to complete the 3.1-mile course. Dogs had to be on leashes at all times, and participants had to have water on hand for their pet.
Congratulations to Saturday’s winners of the Spring 5K and Dog Jog, some of which are photographed below with Liberty race walker Jonathan Hallman (far left), who is training to compete in the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro. Hallman presented the winners’ medals at the event.
Winners are as follows:
- Overall: Douglas Thompson (20:39)
- 14 & under: Maleah Balawi (26:31) and Nolan Evatt (27:29)
- 15 – 19: Jordan Montemayor (35:35) and Chelsea Smith (47:20)
- 20-29: Meredith Cross (29:00) and Rachael Eller (38:55)
- 30-39: Sherry Rhodes (30:51) and Cecilia George (32:40)
- 40-49: Jason Patterson (24:12) and Kevin Maxey (27:02)
- 50-59: Teresa Gimenez (27:42) and Patricia Lefort (31:45)
- 60+: Shirley Tollison (50:20) and Howard Ralph (50:22)